The world is high on trends to enhance optimum fitness. For a good reason, physical fitness is getting enough attention. People are also moving ahead with new fitness regimes to improve their mental health and wellness. Although not familiar with people, emotional fitness is equally important. Including a few easy exercises for our emotional fitness, to our daily routine, we can reap the best out of ourselves.
The process is just like the one you started with, to optimize your physical fitness. You will have to start with understanding what emotional fitness is. Many of us are often confused about mental and emotional health. While the two are different concepts, we often end up thinking of them as one. This article from Lemony Blog would help you understand the significance of the optimal emotional fitness. We have also aggregated below a list of a few exercises you must do to improve your emotional fitness. Scroll until the end and discover a few ways to grab the max of your health in your daily life.
What is Emotional Fitness?
Emotional health is about your ability to express your feelings. The reactions and expressions that you feel after processing a set of information in your brain. When stressed or anxious you end up over-reacting to some situations. Your overwhelmed mind triggers inappropriate responses, for your mind is full of inaccurate thoughts. Emotional fitness is an idea of developing our inner strength to overcome emotional obstacles. It depends upon the positive habits and exercises that we adopt in our daily lifestyles. Under immense pressure, your ability to stay calm and focused while others feel nervous is your emotional fitness.
The normal human behavior is always to assume the worst. That’s how we end up in the hours of disparity. We feel pessimistic and cannot drive our focus away from negative thoughts. Attaining emotional fitness, your mind will be able to focus on the constructive side of the incidences. Instead of drooling over darkness and fear, you’d be able to see the ray of light with a positive vibe in your heart. Although ignored and often underestimated, Emotional intelligence is way important than IQ. It is responsible for our overall health and happiness. Optimal emotional health is the key to success.
How is it Different from Mental Fitness?
Just as I already mentioned above, we often feel confused between mental and emotional health/fitness. While the former refers to our ability to process the information fed to our mind, the latter is about the ability to express what we feel after processing the information. Mental health is about grabbing the best out of your brain. It’s about optimizing your brain to function the best under pressure. Mental health in simple language is a wholesome term to define our brain health. Emotional fitness is one of the aspects that regulate mental fitness.
Importance of Emotional Fitness
Emotional fitness is an essential part of our overall health. When they say, a healthy mind and body perform the best in the hours of disparity, they are no wrong. Emotional health impacts the way in which we perceive information. The overwhelmed mind makes our subconscious mind chaotic and we fail to control ourselves. It affects our decision-making ability because we fail to process the information accurately.
Being emotionally sick, we wouldn’t be able to cope with life’s challenges. Every new hardship would be a setback to use. Being healthy emotionally, we can control our thoughts, behaviors, and feelings. It is thus, the need of the hour to work our way towards attaining optimum health physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Benefits of Emotional Fitness
Mankind is a selfish being. It never does things without benefits. An exercise is a powerful tool that could reap the effects that the best medicines fail to do. The benefits which induce can never be found anywhere else. Some of the benefits of emotional fitness are as follows:
- Reduced stress
- Sleep better
- Optimistic thoughts
- Increased happiness
- Increased self-confidence
- Alleviation of anxiety
- Increased cognitive function
- More energy
Mental Exercises to Improve Emotional Fitness
When practiced regularly, a set of simple exercises can pave the way for a better life. Given below is a list of few easy exercises that will lead you towards a healthier, stronger, and balanced emotional life.
- Attention Training: Improving attention is the first and foremost task in hand for an emotional health regime. It is because attention is the doorway to mind. Not just attention, we need to learn to keep our attention on optimism not otherwise. The best way to train attentional muscles is mindfulness.
- Eliminate Negative Thinking: We see things the way we think. Try to focus more on the light than darkness. Acknowledge your feelings and try to assess, if they are positive or negative. Try to get rid of negative thoughts and welcome positive ones. Cognitive reconstruction is helpful in alleviating negative thoughts.
- Build Better Relationships: Emotions have a great impact on our relationships with others. We can manage and control our emotions using validation. You need to realize if the things you feel are bad just because they appear bad. Once you start accepting your emotions as correct and valid, your relationships with others improve eventually.
- Try Something Different: Non-habitual tasks always awake your brain to concentrate. Trying out new things that you never did before can set the path to your enhanced emotional health. You can try new food, routines, travel to new places, read books different from your regular genre.
- Welcome Your Emotions: We tend to be defensive about the emotions that are hard to accept and end up feeling stressed about them. Recognizing and accepting your emotions in such circumstances is helpful to avoid stress.
- Express Yourself: The introverts often keep things to themselves for they feel uncomfortable in talking to others. The negative issues often bring grudges to their hearts. Once talking their heart out to others relieves them of anxiety and stress, but the otherwise situation leads them to depression and anger. Expressing and talking to others would bring peace to you. Rather than staying alone, try to spend some time with others regularly.
- Be patient: An emotionally healthy person finds wisdom even in tragedy. You do not need to always react instantly to any situation. Taking a step back to realize and process the information over time may reduce the damage that an instant expression may cause. The real success grows slowly over time. Being patient can help you a great deal.
- Meditate: Mindfulness is a way to lessens psychological stressors. It also helps bring focus while doing something. A peaceful mind is a healthy mind. Meditation is an ideal option to enhance your mental health.
- Improve Your Mental Agility: Doing non-habitual motions can improve your brain a lot. For example, you can use your left instead of the right hand to do a few works, walking, closing eyes to while climbing stairs or walking. This would help your brain awake.
- Try Out Mental Health Games: Mental health games are a perfect way to enhance our emotional intelligence. Isn’t it just great to learn vital emotional skills through fun games? It will also boost your confidence. There are several free mental health apps available that can help you out.